Thread: shaping a site 3D - how do you do this?

Default shaping a site 3D - how do you do this?

Ok, people, please tell me how you all go about it?

getting the levels in 3d i mean ...

been a solid 5 days on this and running out of time and patience.

thanks
    Ignorance is fixable - Stupidity is not!

Default Creating and editing a 3D site model in MicroGDS

Creating and modifying a 3D site model in MicroGDS is by far the worst part of the 3D package. A simple thing like forming a path or road in a contoured surface is infuriating!! Sorry can't help

Ps I know you can use the site modeler but this requires a finished site layout drawing with all levels etc, by then it's too late for me.

Quote Originally Posted by C Van Hoof View Post
    Ok, people, please tell me how you all go about it?

getting the levels in 3d i mean ...

been a solid 5 days on this and running out of time and patience.

thanks
    If you want to be able to work with solids best not to ever move vertices as that makes "illegal" solids with non coplaner faces.
    For this problem I think its best to work with contours or x sections then try to surface these you can always add the edges and bottom later if you want the "chunk of cheese" land mass thing.

Think it going to be fairly hard to persuade it to work the way you are going.
    Try the contour add on thingy...can't remember what it's called.....site maybe.

Default one Solution ...

Right

this is the way I achieved a solution.

Since I knew the site external levels they as drawn as such for a basis to work with.
    Plain site dimensions, extrude to higest level and alter each corner individually with "Vertex Move"
    Placed the Residence, outbuilding and some facilities on the plan at the "0" (zero) level too.
    Save the info on a separate layer and make Hittable
    Name:  Window1.PNG
Views: 50
Size:  7.6 KB

By the time this sketch had developed to the clients requirements, it also showed more or less what the planned site levels would be.
    Now i just outlined the areas to be used in rectangles that would suit my building.
    These i extruded from the planned level to the lowest point and each was joined using the "Add to Workpiece"
    To complete the Cheesecake, i drew each "empty space" on the low level and extruding to the lowest higher point and altered the balance individually using "Vertex Move" This was quite tedious, since the "Extrude" created some 'match" errors up to 3mm, which need hunting down before the "Add to Workpiece" would take.
    Here is the finished sketch site:
    Name:  Window4 Leveled site.PNG
Views: 48
Size:  30.0 KB
    Added is some 3D stuff because i needed a mental break.
    My error in this example that some of the paved areas are included in what would be garden
    My mother raised a slow child ...

I see no problem in adding large areas of detail of the adjoining site, nor the roads in this manner.

thank you all for your input and pointers! Much appreciated!!!

This paricular effort took about 5 hours after finding out how to go about it and I had to redo quite a few things.
    Last edited by C Van Hoof; 17th January 2013 at 09:40.

Then you take the outline of your building and plonk it on the site.
    Save the outline of your building on the side.
    Now use the "Subtract from Workpiece"
    when you place the saved copy in the spot it will show when the levels are out, you can adjust each using the "Vertex Move"
    Name:  Window5 Leveled site.PNG
Size:  26.6 KB
    and
    Name:  Window6 Leveled site.PNG
Size:  27.1 KB

have a nice day folks