Thread: Sliding a drawing up/down in 3D - GDS v10

Default Sliding a drawing up/down in 3D - GDS v10

In GDS v 10 in 3D mode ...

is there a manner in which to slide up and down the view you see on your screen, without altering the angle or position of the viewpoint?

in v9 i used the scroll bar on the side, in V 10 it alters the angle of the view point, in the same manner that the 3d round thumbwheel does ... or is this a setting i need to alter somewhere?

And for neither for love nor money i cannot manipulate the "zoom" control so that i get a meaningful view (in v10)... any advice please!!!
    Ignorance is fixable - Stupidity is not!

Try the 3D navigation tutorials on YouTube Chris.

This is first one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6cyG...feature=relmfu
    Life's a reach, and then you gybe - pixelorchard - smugmug - LinkedIn

Thanks! forgot they existed ... lost them in a crash

Thanks for the pointer!

Default 3D Sliding a drawing up and down on the screen

Sorry, but i still cannot work v10.

Could it be a setting on my computer??? (in V10, no prob in V 9)

The problem ...
    the "3D Thumbwheel" (on the side, or bottom) moves the drawing around the "look at" position on the screen! nice and i use that ... and works as expected

The "Scroll Bar" does EXACTLY the same ... i cannot slide the drawing anywhere without altering the view ... and i want the picture that i see to remain the same, yet slide it around on the screen.

What am i doing wrong? or is this a setting somewhere?

Please
    Last edited by C Van Hoof; 15th June 2012 at 12:13.

Hi Chris. Sorry to hear of your continued frustrations with v10 3D navigation.

The truth is that all of the 3D navigation controls alter at least one aspect of the view criteria - usually either the eye position, the look-at position, or both.

The Slide command alters both the look at and eye positions by sliding them up or down or left or right, but keeps them the same distance apart. This IS different to what happens with the thumbwheels.

It sounds like you want to keep the eye positions and the look-at positions constant, but change the visible extent of the scene?

To do this, you would adjust the view angle. The Field of View tool on the 3D window controls the view angle, but also changes the eye position - moving it towards or away from the look-at position, so is probably not exactly what you want? To adjust the view angle WITHOUT altering either the eye or look-at positions, with the 3D view active, go to the Window menu and select View Parameters. This will open the View Parameters panel and you can adjust the view angle by typing or scrolling to the new view angle that you want. To confirm the new angle, click Apply.

The view will always be centred on the line connecting the eye and look-at positions, so it can be tricky to alter the view extent without altering the viewing parameters, something that can be very frustrating. The way to deal with this is to crop the rendered image after you have saved it. Similarly, if you are using a photo or raster primitive of the 3D view in your drawings, it is easy to use the Alter>Segment>Move command to adust the photo or raster extents and this will not affect the eye or look-at positions.

Hope this helps.

If you want to use V9 style 3D navigation in version 10 or later, you have this option. Go to the File menu and select Preference Files (G). This will display the Preference Files Editor. In the left hand list, select Layout. This displays the layout properties in the right hand panel in a spreadsheet style grid. You will see an entry for Use V9 mouse navigation for 3D. To enable this, click in the box to the right of the entry, in the column headed Personal (for just one user) or in the column headed Domain (for all users on the network.) A check box will be displayed - make sure that it is checked to enable this option. Don't forget to save profile settings when you exist MicroGDS if you want to keep the setting permanently.
    Last edited by johnwarburton; 17th June 2012 at 14:10.

Heh... I hang around these forums in the hope of being able to assist sometime, but every time there's a question I can help with, I find that JW has beaten me to it and given a perfect answer!

Sorry, John. I half expected to see a reply from you pop up in between me seeing the message from Chris and composing my reply.

I've been rationing my activity on forums somewhat because I have been too busy, but I have had time to kill most recently because I am recovering from a couple of major surgeries. I am supposed to be off work until mid July!!!

Hi John!

Hope your recovery is speedy and complete

Thank you for your reply ... seems like i'll hang on in V9 till i have some time to move over to 10

Presently busy w a Creche + daycare centre and a Community Hall on the same site

And i had decided to do the presentation drawings myself

Yes, its a challenge but exposes me to GDS portions i had never used properly before

the learning curve is way steep, and the time spent in getting stuff to work huge ... but its a wonderful program

Thanks again for your help and pointers!

and this is on V9 + V10 .... then the changeover to BIM later in life, if i live long enough

John and John

Chris is using v10 and not 2010, so the preference file trick does not work.

Brian
    Brian Woodward
    MicroGDS and Piranesi

Thank you for your input!

Chris Van Hoof

Keeping in V 9 ... won't give me a heart attack