Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intelligent Objects: User Request

Default Intelligent Objects: User Request

At this stage in the development of BIM functionality, there is a long way to go.

We have simple walls (i.e. where the profile is uniform through the height and length); we have doors, we have windows, and we have slabs.

All of these will develop further (lots more door types for example) but there are many other elements to tackle.

So, what do want to see tackled first? Stairs, roofs, building frames, complex walls (i.e. where profile is not uniform), sub-structure, etc., etc?

Maybe if there is enough response here, Informatix will turn this into a poll.
    Life's a reach, and then you gybe - pixelorchard - smugmug - LinkedIn

Default Stairs

I really want to see stairs implemented as a priority.

Straight, dogleg, curved, spiral, ladders, etc. - all in a range of constructions - timber, steel, concrete, etc.

(...and closely followed by handrails of course.)

Default Let's see it for Stairs

Stairs would be helpful. Handrails are sort of mandatory in the real world although I know a lot of projects are published with handrails missing. Would some sort of regulation check take place? Is that realistic?

In our own place, we have six stairs, and only one has a handrail. The rest are located with walls on either side, but that was the Victorian Architect who was responsible for that; a Scottish celeb called David Bryce and whose motto was "handrails are for wimps".

From our own work, virtually all of our stair designs are bespoke and tend to drive a coach and horses through the "spirit of the regulations". While I like the idea of BIM I find it difficult to envisage how much use it will be for most of our projects.
    Running Windows on Apple computers using VMWare Fusion reduces stress and makes for a more pleasant computing experience

Default Stairs & Structural Steel

I agree that stairs are a common element that merits priority.
    Structural steel (beams and columns) and how they interface may also be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by James McClymont View Post
    I agree that stairs are a common element that merits priority.
    Structural steel (beams and columns) and how they interface may also be worth a look.
    ...and all of the sub-structure such as piles, footings, ground slabs, ground beams, retaining walls, etc.

Cool

The tools .. the tools .. I want the tools to build what we need when we need them, way beyond the current simple cutter!! ... and then spread them among the community . A bit like a good and useful virus or an STI :-)

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by marcocrawford View Post
    The tools .. the tools .. I want the tools to build what we need when we need them, way beyond the current simple cutter!! ... and then spread them among the community . A bit like a good and useful virus or an STI :-)

Marco
    I do worry about you sometimes, Marco......

Talking

Well, strictly speaking you do have the tools - the ADK. But I know what you mean. Starting a new Intelligent Object from scratch is a daunting prospect. I've been told how long it takes and it is quite an investment in time. So yes, we could do with a toolkit, or at the very least a library of code blocks to get us started.

...and a workshop for those sad enough amongst us to want to give it a go

yep ... I qualify as one of those that sad people :-)
    But just think of it as a good day out in Cambridge ... or in my case one day out and 2 travelling ...
    I have had a look at the ADK .. it does look daunting

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by marcocrawford View Post
    I have had a look at the ADK .. it does look daunting
    Take a look at the IFC definitions too. If you think that the ADK is daunting .....

http://www.iai-tech.org/ifc/IFC2x4/beta3/html/index.htm