Thread: Piranesi Library ?

Default Piranesi Library ?

Hi all,

I downloaded piranesi 5.1 this week to try it because i work with sketchup and this looks like a awesome program to make my own artist impression.

I exported from sketchup and load into piranesi and then i see a lotta library's standard in piranesi that i can't use ?
    The library is there but it still say *.png not found on my harddrive.

In trial version of piranesi library's like cutout etc. are not provided ?

I see the pics but cannot use them

plz what do i miss here ?

Hi Jemo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemo View Post
    In trial version of piranesi library's like cutout etc. are not provided ?
    The trial version comes with a selection of cutouts and other styles for you to try. The style manager also shows thumbnails of styles that only come with the full version (marked "retail").

When you buy the full version, you get all the raster files to let you use all the styles shown (over 1 GB).

Regards,
    David

Default Creating custom cutouts

I have created a png file and would like to add it to a library to use as a cutout.
    How do I go about doing this??
    I have the Mastering Piranesi book but cant seem to find this information in it.

I am having the same problem with textures I created. In programs like Painter, or most other, you can copy the newly created file, in my case a texture png, into the testure library folder on your C/prgorams/informatix/style library/texture, and it will appear. This is not the case with Piranesi and I wish the process could be simpler.
    Thomas W. Hillis, LEED AP

Hi Mark,
    Quote Originally Posted by mark pemberton View Post
    I have created a png file and would like to add it to a library to use as a cutout.
    First select the Cutout tool and browse for your png file from the toolbar at the top. Type the real-world height or width of the cutout (since the png file doesn't have this information) and check the "shadows" box if you want a shadow generated.

Now you can add a style for this cutout so it appears in the style library.

I suggest that you create a new library for your styles, using the Library / New / Style Library menu on the style manager. Then they will be kept when you upgrade to a new version of Piranesi. To add a style:

• click Control-N (or Cmd-N) for New Style
    • type a name
    • select a library to store it in
    • clear all the checkboxes except for "Tool: Cutout 100%" and "Lock: None" - this means that applying this cutout in future will keep any other settings you have selected at that time
    • click OK

Or, if you have a collection of cutout files, you can create a new style library from a folder using the Library / New / Style Library Builder menu on the style manager. Then you can set the real-world sizes by applying a style, changing the settings then overwriting the style with Control-N.

You'll find more information in your Mastering Piranesi book in Chapter 7, Managing Styles, in the Style Manager section.

@zanzibarbob, we will look at adding "live" folders to the Piranesi style manager so it can pick up files from a folder. But we may need to prompt for more details when it is first used.

David

David, Thanks for the reply on this and my other thread. A live folder would be nice and one that will be recognized when Piranesi updates are applied so as not to lose textures, cutouts....we have produced. The style route is too long, as you have to go through this process with each texture. Then it still only shows in the style library and not in the texture drop down. If I assign a style there is also a limit as to where to put things in the library selection. A more sophisticated browse feature that lets us locate the texture folder might solve this. It's still a style and I really only want the texture to show up in the dropdown.

I have been working on making several alpha textures and would just like to batch them in and have them show up in the dropdown. I love this version and really like the layers.
    Last edited by zanzibarbob; 8th March 2010 at 23:23.
    Thomas W. Hillis, LEED AP

Quote Originally Posted by zanzibarbob View Post
    Then it still only shows in the style library and not in the texture drop down.
    The texture drop down is just displaying the textures from a category in one of your style libraries - you can add your new styles there or ask it to show the category where you added them.

If you have a number of textures it may be quicker to use the style recorder:

• Turn on style recording
    • Drop a texture file on the toolbar and paint something - this will create a style in the style recorder.
    • Drop the next and paint again
    • Save all recorded styles to the category the texture drop-down is showing.

They won't get meaningful names but if you can recognise them from the thumbnails that may not matter.

Arvan